Saturday, February 17, 2007

RATATOUILLE Rough Animation Test: Emile's Magic Trick




Most animators have probably already seen this, but I'm posting it anyway. Great test done by an animator at Pixar----what I appreciate most about those Pixar guys is that they're not afraid of a hold. There are times where I'm watching their work and I'm not even sure if any pixels are moving at all. Methinks the trick has a lot to do with how successful the storytelling pose is, that's being held. So hats off to this Doug Dooley guy.

Typically, I tend to enjoy Bluesky's animation a bit more.... not that it's necessarily better (I don't think there's a "right" or "wrong" way to animate something, there are just different styles of animation which can be animated well, or poorly). I prefer to subscribe to a "toonier" style because it's fun, and I enjoy it. If I were, say, important enough to give an award for my favorite CG-animation... I think that title would still go to many shots in "Ice Age 2".

The animation in IA2 is energetic, creative, well-timed, and well-thought-out. I know several people who disagree with me on this and have argued that Bluesky sometimes over-animates... but I challenge you with this thought----- maybe Pixar under-animates? Hmmmmmmmm??????

The answer is neither. I think both studios are just badass at the styles of animation under which they are directed. Someday I might find critique in their animation-execution, when I feel I can pull off just one shot worthy of being in a film from either studio.

I'll get it, eventually. I come from a long line of rednecks.... it takes a little longer for us Pennsylvania backwoods boys to catch-on.


Anyway, just for the record---the highly un-prestigious honor of "Joe's favorite animated shorts of all time" go to these guys:











Animation at its most entertaining.

1 comment:

Alex Fleisig said...

excellent blog entry joe. I totally agree with you on this. I'm really glad that there are so many different types of animation studios doing different styles of animation. Personally, I prefer the toonier stuff as well. Its just more fun for me to watch from an animators perspective. But its great that many different approaches are being taken. I wouldn't want every movie to be that way.